Saturday, January 9, 2010

Granola Bars

This is a recipe from a good friend from high school. These are very good, and you can use many variations. I cut them up in the size of granola bars and put them in baggies and it is a fun treat for the kids to have after school or whenever.

1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 c. peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c. quick oats
1 1/2 c. rice krispies
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
2 tbsp. sesame seeds (I leave the sunflower and sesame seeds out)

(I double the recipe and it works great in a cookie sheet)

In a pan combine brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and add peanut butter and vanilla. Mix other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour melted mixture over dry ingredients. mix well. Press into a greased cookie sheet. When cool cut into desired size.

So I do variations on this recipe. For a "healthier" version I use grape nuts instead of rice krispies and it makes it much crunchier. I also put in craisins which I love, but I find that when I add craisins then I need to less my grape nuts to only 1 cup other wise there isn't enough of the melted mixture to make it stick together.

The other variation I do is I add craisins and chocolate chips to the regular dry mixture. The melted mixture just barely melts the chocolate chips and make it more into a dessert.

2 comments:

  1. We had fun making these today. I had the kids measure the dry ingredients while I got the other stuff boiling. They had so much fun! These are quick and easy and are fun to add whatever you want into them. So yummy too! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made these tonight and they were definitely a huge hit!! Thanks, Beck!

    ReplyDelete