- 1 (22 ounce) can canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix (see note)
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, and apple sauce. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa, and salt. Whisk to fully mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and beat until well blended. Pour batter into a greased 12×17-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Top with cream cheese frosting, and chopped nuts if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter (or margarine) and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, and mix well. If frosting is still too stiff, add milk, 1 tsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Frost cake, and sprinkle with nuts (if desired).